Weekend Wrap

Central Federation Men's League

Peggy Gordon’s New Plymouth Rangers suffered their second defeat in the Central Federation League losing 0-4 to Gisborne Thistle. Jarom Brouwer put Gisborne into the lead on 30 minutes before a controversial penalty was given against Devan Leggett when video evidence clearly showed he won the ball and didn’t foul his opponent. Tomek Frooms slotted home the resulting penalty to give the visitors a 2-0 half time lead.

Further goals from Jimmy Somerton and Sam Patterson sealed the victory.

Rangers coach Andy Hamilton was disappointed with the team giving away too much possession in all areas of the pitch which resulted in a lack of opportunities in the attacking third.

Hamilton said ‘I’ll look at the option of some positional changes for the next game during this week’s training’.

The club also hopes to bring in a new striker this week to bolster their ranks.

Next week NP Rangers are away to Havelock North Wanderers.

Central Federation Women's League

New Plymouth Rangers women travelled to Whanganui on Sunday to play Team Whanganui.

It took 10-15 minutes before Rangers got their first shot away. A free kick by Lizzie Ingram beat the keeper but not the cross bar. From then on the team settled in to their work with good periods of sustained pressure.

Good work down the right by Lilly Dowsing slipped in striker Holly Kleinsman who made it 1-0 after 12 minutes. Dowsing was again in action shortly after driving through the middle, beating her player before popping her left foot shot past the keeper only to see it hit the post and run wide.

Wanganui had 2 very good opportunities from NPR turnover of pass but on both occasions the early shot was comfortably saved by keeper Sophie Campbell.

Before the end of the first half, NPR made it 2-0. A free kick in to the box kindly fell to Kleinsman to score her second.

After half time the game became a little scrappy with high turnover of passes from both sides.

Kleinsman had a couple of further opportunities to get her hat trick, but the Wanganui keeper Megan O’Connor kept her team in the game.

Zara Errol Watt’s energy helped keep NPR on the front foot and always threatened to open up the Wanganui defence.

Just as Wanganui was beginning to put NPR under some pressure, a sweeping move down the left involving player of the day Ruby Hales more than once, opened up a ball across the edge of the penalty box to Aimee Wisnewski, who lashed her right foot effort in to the top left corner of the net.

It was a satisfying result for the girls and coaches in keeping a clean sheet through another solid defensive performance to back up last week.

It was important to go in to the bye next week with a win.

Taranaki Men's Premier League

Moturoa continued their winning start to the season against NP Rangers at Merrilands Domain with a 5-0 victory. Despite the scoreline it took Moturoa until 70 minutes to breakdown a stubborn Rangers defence through Hayden Murray but a burst of four further goals in the last 12 minutes confined a fatiguing Rangers side to defeat. Connor Hay, Aiden Smith, Taylor Bignell and Oliver Hill completed the scoring. Rangers will rue missed chances in the first half but both goalkeepers, Sam Westlake (Moturoa) and 16 year old Ryan Bain (NPR) excelled for their teams. Sam Sutton starred for Moturoa while Lucasz Zielinski continued to impress for Rangers. The more experienced Moturoa team proved they will be hard to beat this season.

Fellow favourites, FC Western also continued their 100% start to the season with a 4-0 win at Inglewood. Goals from Simon Gibson (3 mins) and Jordi Fettis (8 mins) gave the visitors an early lead. Further goals from Connor Oliver-Rose and a second from Gibson sealed a comfortable victory.

NP Boys High School made heavy weather in overcoming Waitara 3-2.

Zack Young proved to be the difference scoring all three NPBHS goals with the winner in the 57th minute. Steve Kibby and Jonny Kennedy had pulled back a 0-2 deficit before half time. Callum Parsons received a late red card for his 2nd reckless foul of the match.

Kaitake got their first win in the Premier League with a fine 3-1 over Peringa United. Kaitake got off to a slow start and Stephen Allardice gave the home team a 1-0 half time lead. Kaitake came out stronger in the 2nd half and scored through Brazilian Renan Faria Dos Anjos Bra, Aidy Wright and James Bevington to complete a satisfactory day.

Eltham narrowly defeated Woodleigh by 1-0. Isaac Smith scored the game’s only goal in the 80th minute.

Taranaki Women’s Premier League

Despite conceding early on against Hawera with Paula Chittenden netting, Moturoa eased to a convincing 8-1 win. The free scoring Moturoa scored through Danielle Lucinsky (3), Kate Phipps (2), Fernanda Toscani, Sophie Bolton and Brooke Carter.

NP Girls High School beat the struggling Woodleigh side 15-0. A feature of the match was 3 girls scored hatricks – Eva Hilliam, Paris Liu, and Kailey Hastie. In all eight players found the back of the net – Gemma Feek, Chloe Baldwin, Brooke Eliason, Briar Jensen-Voullaire and Sophie Riddick (2).

Waitara maintained their 100% start to the season against NP Rangers overturning a 1-2 deficit inside the last 10 minutes to snatch a 3-2 victory. Goals from Dana Phillips, Reyse Taylor and the late winner from Cassidy Pringle saw them home. Reese Kuriger-Churstain and Jennifer Stoiber scored for Rangers.

In the other matches Inglewood comfortably beat Peringa 3-0. Goals came from Adelaide Campbell, Katelyn Stewart and Jesseka Fairclough. Stratford got their first win of the season beating Eltham 2-0. Nicole Gibson and Samantha McGhie scored for the home team.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square